Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New Prime Directive RPG Releases from ADB

First Look! Cover for PRIME DIRECTIVE: FEDERATION for PD20 ModernLooks like the folks over at Amarillo Design Bureau have been super busy lately, and there are a few upcoming releases of interest. I said early on that I probably wouldn't cover the Star Fleet Universe or its Prime Directive RPG much here, but I've changed my mind for a number of reasons.

Primarily, Stephen Cole and ADB have kept the flame burning for Trek tabletop gaming for a long time, 30 frakkin' years! That deserves nothing but respect. Some of the themes and tone of the SFU may differ from Star Trek, but it's properly licensed and the rest is technicality. If my blog is truly "A Retrospective of Star Trek RPGs", then it's incomplete without coverage of these efforts.

I'll also be covering SFU over on my new Tabletop Games column at Star Trek Games, as games such as Star Fleet Battles and Federation Commander have probably had a bigger impact in terms of Trek-themed tabletop gaming than anyone else.

Anyway, news!

Scheduled for 4/20/09: Prime Directive: Federation (d20 Modern), SKU 8702, $24.95 - This manual covers everything you could want to know about those do-gooders of the galaxy, the Federation. Extensive history of the Federation, history and culture a dozen member races, military organizations, medals, starships, politics, intelligence agencies, etc. This release is specifically for the d20 Modern rule system, and PD20M core rules and supplements for the Klingons and Romulans are already available. UPDATE: Thanks to Stephen Cole at ADB for sending me the cover images above and below!

Scheduled for 5/18/09: The long-anticipated GURPS Prime Directive: Federation, (GURPS 4E), SKU 8402, $24.95 - Similar to the above, but adapted to the Generic Universal Role Playing System by Steve Jackson Games. The Core PDGURPS book (200 pages, and includes a complete rules set for GURPS including character creation) and supplements for Klingons and Romulans have been available for awhile. Other supplements such as Tholians and Starships have been mentioned in the past, so hopefully the release of Federation is a sign that things are picking up steam.

Keep an eye out here for more on the past, present and future of Prime Directive.

3 comments:

  1. Robert I'm on their mailing list for updates. You can get on it as well (or I'm happy to auto-forward you the ones I receive).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started with the original Prime Directive RPG more than a decade ago and have recently started some PD20 campaigns. Glad to see you cover them (and SFB too)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chess, I'm on it as of yesterday. Figured I needed to get on it for STG, which is more news oriented than I'll ever be here. :)

    PHD, are you using PD20 or PD20Modern? I'm planning to dip my toe in, but waffling between PD20M and GURPS. I already have the TFG rules from '93 and will review them here later, but would rather play something more modern. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete