Thursday, February 26, 2009

OT: WonderCon (and Trek!) in San Francisco

WonderCon Taking the day off of work to start my 3 day weekend at WonderCon 2009 here in San Francisco! I'll have to get an early start because, after all, it's a whole 4 blocks away from where I live.

I like WonderCon. It's like San Diego Comic-Con... without the oppressive crowds and lines. No wonder (ha) because it's operated by the same group.

I'll definitely be swinging by the Dealer's Room, and Room 106 to check out the games, but I don't expect to catch much more than some game of Magic: The Gathering or D&D 4E. Maybe I'll finally get to see Monsterpocalypse in action. I need to start getting my own act together to run some games this year (Thousand Suns for sure, and maybe Enterprise with Heritage figures!)

Thousand Suns: Transmissions from PiperOoh, speaking of which #1: Rogue Games has just announced the release of Thousand Suns: Transmissions from Piper. I pre-ordered my hard copy from IPR last night and downloaded the PDF. Gonna load it up on the tineee eeeeePC and check it out during slow times at the con this weekend. Seems like I've been looking forward to this for ages. Hard to believe TS has only been out for a year. Really need to get back to work on TS: Final Frontier...

Ooh, speaking of which #2: I've finally finished translating every last word of Enterprise. 60 pages and 25,000 words. Phew. Looks really nice though. I'm having two copies professionally printed for myself, at which point one will be hermetically sealed along with my copy of the game itself for my Trek RPG collection, and the other to actually use for the game I hope to eventually throw together and run. Maybe at EndGame in Oakland, maybe this year at Gen Con (if I can actually afford it, if I still have a job!). I'm still concerned by the more-than-sneaking suspicion that I'm absolutely the only person in the world that is actually interested in this game I keep writing about. Plus, it's not the most, um, sophisticated RPG in the world. Still, it's one thing to have the game, and another to actually know it. If nothing else, it was a great Japanese translation exercise, I've probably doubled or tripled my time. The Tsukuda Trek wargames should go much faster. And maybe I can make this my next job, should it get to that point (anyone hiring for Japanese-to-English translation of obscure Japanese tabletop games from the 80s???).

Where was I?

Oh, right, WonderCon. Anyway, if you're in the area, there's some great Trek stuff in the program this weekend. At 3:30pm on Friday, The Once & Future Trek! with "Treksperts" Robert Meyer Burnett (Free Enterprise), Daren Dochterman (ST: TMP Special Edition), Steve Melching (Clone Wars... ummm), comedian Mary Forest (???), and one of my favorite online people, Anthony Pascale of TrekMovie.com. Definitely going just to hear people argue about nacelles and such. Saturday at 2:00 will be the Paramount Pictures Star Trek Panel for the 2009 film, with sneak peak footage (YAH!) and perhaps a surprise guest or two? And Sunday at 2:00pm is the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Q&A. I've never actually seen this show, but Summer Glau and Shirley Manson of my favorite band, Garbage, are going to be there. Yum. Then I take the ladies out for dinner. Then my wife kicks me out of the house. But what a way to go.

Anyway, if you're there, keep an eye out for me. I'll be the one dressed as an Orion Slave Girl. This is San Francisco, after all.

Just kidding.

2 comments:

  1. So, what are your thoughts on Piper? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only flipped through it really fast to check out the art, the selections you ended up going with, and the "fluff to crunch" ratio for lack of a better word. Really pleased with the overall approach, just the right amount of crunch, more than I expected. The antenna watermark is more than a little distracting in PDF form, and I'm hoping it will seem less obtrusive in print. Won't be able to dig in deeper until the next few days, so I'll definitely be reporting back, perhaps post a review on IPR or RPGnet once I've read it cover to cover. But first impressions are "GREAT!"

    ReplyDelete