Friday, July 3, 2009

David R. Deitrick Follow-up

Special Edition Issues of IDW's Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan with covers by David Deitrick The series is complete!

Here's my rough attempt to assemble the Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan series triptych of the special retailers' incentive version with art by David R. Deitrick, as covered here last month. Issue #3 was released July 1st, so if you want to get them, grab them soon (link to Things from Another World, or click the image above). This series with David's artwork and April's movie prequel Countdown have really made me take a closer look at the Trek comics coming out of IDW Publishing, and the John Byrne TOS April-era tale Crew (featuring "Number One"!) jumped out at me as well. But just as Crew #5 is coming out next week, #2 is already sold out. I tracked it down and paid extra, but that's the lesson for TWOK: if you want the Deitrick covers, best get them while you can.

Speaking of Mr. Deitrick, he came upon my original post and was nice enough to drop me a very gracious thank you note. It turns out that the TWOK covers were an entirely new commission, not an older unseen piece. If, like me, you'd like to see more of these, do what I did: drop IDW a note by snail mail or email and let them know you want more (I even hinted I'd like them to release a poster). In my ideal world, this gives David a chance to build up his Trek portfolio just in time for a new game publisher to come along, snatch up the RPG license, and hire him to do all of the art for the game!

A guy can dream, can't he? While I'm at it, I win the lottery big time, and I'm the one that gets the license and hires the rest of the best and the brightest. We all quit our day jobs and just create the best Trek RPG ever.

But for now, I'll just have to make do with these comics and work on the next best thing...

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I love David's work and have done ever since the FASA game. Great to see him working in the Trek universe again.

    ReplyDelete