Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Artist David R. Deitrick Returns to Trek

If you stop by the comic book store tomorrow, you might catch a glimpse of something that looks familiar. Familiar, that is, if you were a big fan of FASA's Star Trek The Role Playing Game in the 80s.

On June 10th, IDW Publishing is releasing the first of its 3-part comic book adaptation of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan -- apparently one of the few films that didn't get the comic book treatment -- written by Andy Schmidt, with art by Chee Yang Ong and color by Moose Baumann. Of interest to FASA fans, though, will be the special "retailer incentive cover" version with artwork by none other than David R. Deitrick.

Dave Deitrick's distinctive style graced the covers of so many memorable science fiction games in the 80s, and he practically defined the look of FASA's Trek through most of its adventures and supplements. This cover is apparently the first of three "interlocking" covers and, I'm guessing, a completely new piece.

Mr. Deitrick's work first caught my eye in 1980, with Metagaming's The Fantasy Trip Microquest, Security Station. I was just getting into pen-and-ink drawing at the time, and there was something about the lines and color of that box art that made it look so different than anything else coming out in fantasy role-playing at the time. Despite my love of TFT, it turns out the game itself was a dog and didn't live anywhere near the coolness displayed on the cover. It wasn't Deitrick's fault, of course, but his work really illustrated his talent for making you want to buy.

When I look back at his art that came out over the next few years, I realize that he had this brilliant ability through unusual color combinations and lines to convey motion and the promise of an exciting adventure. I know I'm not the only one who digs Deitrick's contribution to the hobby. Super game blogger Jeff Rients not only posted a David Deitrick Mini-Shrine on his blog in 2005 , but managed to get the the artist to create Jeff's well-known "IG-666 Robot Warlock" illustration.

I miss buying games that had art like this. I loved going into the hobby store and being surprised by a new Trek module on the shelf with Deitrick's art on the cover. It seems that so much art in games these days is so dark, or so Photoshoppy/Painter, or so full of really, really bad 3D models. Deitrick's art was bright and clean and colorful, and hinted that your game could be the same. Plus, he had a rare talent among game artists to portray extremely cool women who appeared to somehow make their way in the universe without giant breasts and very little clothing. I know that there is a huge appreciation for the stark simplicity of Traveller's original LBBs, but I'll admit that nothing made me want to play Traveller more than the beautiful cover Deitrick composed for the Starter Edition (left) in 1983. It looked so... modern! Even though I already had the big black Deluxe Edition from two years earlier, I bought the SE just for the box, and still have it today.

Some may look at the outrageous pinks, yellows and purples in some of his illustrations and think, "Oh, so that's what Limited Express looked like in 1984!" Maybe it's just nostalgia and my memories of all those adventures (some that never were), but I don't think they look dated at all. I still look at them and think, "Man, the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades."

Here's a collection of some of David R. Deitrick's other non-Trek covers (click for larger versions)...





...and, starting with my favorite, a selection of art from adventure modules and supplements for the Reigning King, FASA's Star Trek The Role Playing Game. Enjoy! And be sure to check out Dave's website. He's still a very active artist and has grown into other media including some incredible sculpture work.















2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love the work of David Deitrick and always have since I first saw his Traveller and Star Trek pieces in the early eighties.

    Looking forward to seeing more from the man, the myth, the legend in the future.

    AD
    Barking Alien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I too am a huge fan of Deitrick's art and am always surprised that he doesn't have a bigger presence on the internet. I also agree that there's nothing dated about his work, even now. But maybe I'm just dating myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete