Sunday, June 28, 2009

Looking Back 10 Years Ago

The Core Rulebooks of Lost Unicorn Games' Star Trek Roleplaying GamesJust a quick entry here, because the meat is elsewhere. I ran across an entry from the SF Gaming column of RPGnet, a June 1999 interview that James Maliszewski (of Rogue Games and Grognardia fame) did with Ross A. Isaacs, author, designer and line editor of so much of the Last Unicorn Games and Decipher Star Trek role-playing games. I think Ross is at Eden Studios these days. I think. Actually, I'm not sure what's going on with Eden these days.

From the interview:

"Star Trek, as an RPG, must create new material to remain viable. The great thing is that Paramount understands this, and actually looks forward to seeing what we come up with."

*sigh*

"In the coming months, you'll learn about the Federation's Merchant Marines, Starfleet's organization, Starfleet Intelligence, Vulcan's dark past, where Mount Seleya is located, Risan history, Tellarite cities, and all about Romulan culture and space. Next year, we're going to tackle the Tholians, the Klingons and Cardassians. Will you see "original" material? Heck ya!"

*double sigh*

Anyway, check out the full Isaacs interview, a great blast from the past. And when you're done with that, check out James' inteview with author/developer Kenneth Hite from the same period.

7 comments:

  1. Now I want to cry...

    I really liked the job that LUG did with the Star Trek games. While I think that the same crew did a good job with the Decipher incarnation, there was something endearing about Last Unicorn's incarnation. Though I was a playtester for the Decipher game, I've grown to prefer the older LUG one - it was a little less polished but seemed to wear its Trekkie heart on its sleeve... I'm also in a minority for preferring a game for each of the TV shows.

    If any company gets a new license in the future, it is vital that they not try to produce a Klingons supplment. Neither LUG nor Decipher was able to release it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in that same minority with you. I think Ross was dead on in that regard. Each of those books above are better for their individual focus.

    Are you saying that to plan a Klingon supplement is to open a curse and tempt fate?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the key is to *start* with the Klingon book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True! It was one of FASA's first big supplements...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey the FASA Klingons would be a good topic for this blog. I keep debating whether I should get the original Klingons supplement from eBay - I've got the revised FASA one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the opposite boat... I have the Klingon boxset, but not the revised editions! Nevertheless, there will definitely be a piece on John Ford's Klingons coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "The Final Reflection" by John M. Ford. Best Star Trek Novel EVER.

    ReplyDelete