Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Still More Trek Gaming Tidbits!

Gary Mitchell's Rim AlienJust a few quick, fun finds of note tonight before dinner:

When it comes to miniatures, a good Klingon is hard to find. Or is it? Check out the new "Rim Alien" (left), and if you're interested in this and more, head over to Gary Mitchell's Shop. They're not the Big K's, of course, but they look close enough for gaming purposes. They'll be coming soon.

If you're like me, you dig schematics and deckplans. Need a good ship? Perhaps a station to visit? How about a nicely detailed Ground Base to infiltrate? Well, thanks to IceGiant in a thread over at TrekRPGNet, a site thought to be lost had turned back up: Publius' (John D. Lees?) Trek Role-Playing site, which includes maps of the Damaris Sector, some CODA house rules, and deckplans for the Nova-class, the USS Rhode Island variant, the Java-class, the Regula Station and more! Grab 'em while you can before a black hole opens up.

Owen Oulton has pointed out Samuel Kowal's lovely deckplans for the USS Raven on his deviantARt page. Samuel also has some cool original schematics (1701-F, G, H and I?) in his gallery. And Owen's added some new material to his Rising Sun campaign.

Designer John Eaves. Poor guy. His blog is about to get bombarded with Teh Angerz as he opens up the can of worms known as "How Big is the New Enterprise?"

I should have a picture this week of something that may be a perfect mini of the nuEnterprise! Though you can always bid against me on this (eBay). Hopefully this other option works. It'll be much more affordable!

Speaking of eBay, I'm too lazy, erm, busy to do Auction of the Week... so here's a bunch! Something for everyone!

Old Soldiers Never Die Romulan WarYah, I can't afford to be shopping either. I did just get (finally!) FASA module "Old Soldiers Never Die" and its very cool "The Romulan War" companion. "w00t!" as the kids say.


Like your Trek gaming Fast Furious and Fun? I'm pretty sure I mentioned Renny's Savage Worlds conversion in the big "homebrew" post months ago (still the most popular post, btw), and Bretbo has another underway. The Savage Worlds Conversion page has a newish entry from Mike Callahan called "Red Alert!" (a Word doc) that's a nice approach to ship-to-ship combat in SW. I have Pinnacle's Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition. I have a deck of cards. I have Star Trek minis out my butt. And there's a Savage Worlds Online for Fantasy Grounds, a virtual tabletop I've been wanting to try for a long time. I should really make time (HA!) to dig into SW further.

Look's like VulcanStev may have another guest post coming on that very subject. In the meantime, as promised, he has posted his own thoughts on Gaming in the Universe of Star Trek.

So, Savage Worlds: any readers play it and can tell me "yay" or "nay"?

Better yet, don't! I have to finish those nuTrek schematics, playtest EZFudge Final Frontier (and you can too!), finish the PD1 article, check out Ad Astra's cool 3D starship combat game, Squadron Strike!, send an e-mail reply to the very gracious Grandfather of Star Trek RPGs, etc., etc..

But first: DINNER!

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Thanks as always for the interesting and informative stuff you post here. Gratitude also for mentioning my own little contribution. I do intend to put more work into the conversion notes in the near future and tidy up what's already there. I wanted to throw in a few words regarding my experiences with Savage Worlds. I may be a little biased but i've found the system works great for running Star Trek. I've run three adventures so far, two of which were conversions of old adventures (FASA's The Vanished and LUG's Stopping At The Beast). I converted the chracters as needed and ran them pretty much as written. Savage Worlds works particularly well if you play up the more action oriented vibe of the original series but I have no doubt it would work equally well for TNG era stuff as well. The main advantage i've found is that as my group are playing SW pretty heavily, it's much easier to sell them on the idea of running the odd Star Trek adventure because they don't have to get their heads round another rules set. SW also makes it easy to convert existing adventures without too much work. I have some conversions of the NPCs from the previously mentioned adventures i've run which i'll post at my wiki site soon. The only area that I hadn't really got to grips with was starship combat. There are some incomplete notes on my wiki for these but now with the aforementioned Red Alert rules available, I think this deficiency has been filled. I also have some ideas about using the Savage Worlds chase rules which I hope to write up at some point. I've run games in FASA, LUG and CODA (and even GURPS) previously but have found Savage Worlds to be the most fun for me personally. I'm happy to help if I can anyone else who wants to try running Trek in savage Worlds.

    Renny

    ReplyDelete