Thursday, June 25, 2009

Star Trek: Big in Japan!

Star Trek Movie Collectibles from Japan - chirashi, program, keychain, command badge, press kitIf you haven't noticed, I have a passion for many things Japanese, including Japanese things related to Star Trek (or, as the original series was called over there, 宇宙大作戦 (Space Operation)). Probably a result of the years I spent immersed in kaiju eiga and tokusatsu fandom... that's a fancy way of saying Godzilla, Gamera and Ultraman, heh.

Thanks to Eric, my wonderful online friend and Trek RPG buddy in Tokyo, I got a fantastic care package last week. I'd already managed to get ahold of a few chirashi (mini-posters) for the film, but Eric really completed my collection with the official movie program, a keychain with a very small new Enterprise, a command badge and a press/PR document (all pictured left, click any of these to embiggenize).

Floovie Star Trek Movie Collectibles from Japan - program, keychain, command badge, press kitI still have and treasure my original 1979 theatrical program from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It was probably one of the final programs of its type published. By the time TWOK came out in 1982, everything seemed to have switched to "Official Collector's Magazines". Just not the same.

But in Japan, a few very high-quality programs still manage to be released, and some theaters and movies have additional merchandise for sale at the concession stands. Some of the coolest and rarest Godzilla collectibles were "theater exclusives" that would only be available at the end of the year when what used to be the annual Godzilla film was being screened.

And so it was with the June premiere of JJ Abrams' Star Trek in Japanese theaters this month. Shochiku Goods has released Star Trek theater merchandise as part of its Froovie ("something from the movie") line of goods, which can be seen at the Froovie website. Unfortunately, most of it now appears to be sold out (and Eric told me the same), so it will be difficult for most Westerners to get ahold of it unless you know how to frequent outlets such as Yahoo Japan Auctions. In the meantime, here's some closeup images of what Eric managed to get to me.

New Movie Star Trek Enterprise Japanese Keychain 1/7000 miniatureI love the program, but I think this is my favorite: yet another new Enterprise keychain! This is much smaller than the US version I covered a few weeks ago, 1 3/4" (45mm). For starship miniature fans, that's about the same size as the small Romando Star Trek 1/7000 collection (my favored scale for gaming).

Here are some additional close-ups alongside a Galoob TOS 1701 Micro Machine, the US Basicfun keychain, and -- one of my favorite recent acquisitions -- a brilliant 1/7000 scale Klingon D7, erm, Sing-on Starship from Studio Bergstrom (do check out that website, his minis are better than the pictures and a GREAT VALUE!).

New Movie Star Trek Enterprise Japanese Keychain 1/7000 miniature with Studio Bergstrom Klingon D7 battlecruiser New Movie Star Trek Enterprise Japanese Keychain 1/7000 miniature with Studio Bergstrom Klingon D7 battlecruiser New Movie Star Trek Enterprise Japanese Keychain 1/7000 miniature with Studio Bergstrom Klingon D7 battlecruiser
New Movie Star Trek Enterprise Japanese Keychain 1/7000 miniature with Studio Bergstrom Klingon D7 battlecruiser
And here are some shots of the additional merchandise (click to enlarge):

JJ Abrams Star Trek movie program
JJ Abrams new Star Trek Movie Command Badge and Keychain from Japan
New Star Trek Movie Froovie Merchandise - Program, key chain, badge pin, press kit


14 comments:

  1. :) I was (and still consider myself to be) a huge Godzilla fan. I also loved Gamra and the original (I think) Ultraman (recently googled ole Ultra and was amazed to find how many versions of them there were).

    I was at Wal-Mart and saw the models for the various Enterprise ships and was sorely tempted to buy them. I didn't, figuring they'd just end up tucked away in a draw or upon some dusty shelf. I still want them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also tempted by the Mattel Hot Wheels Trek shipa, but between my large Art Asylums, my miniatures and my smaller Japanese toys (Furuta), I just can't justify the space.

    I love the original Ultraman series (66/67), and used to watch it in Ohio every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (Johnny Sokko on Tues and Thurs!). "Mothra vs. Godzilla" is one of my all time favorite films (as is "Mothra" itself, finally coming out here on DVD in a few months, hooray!). I've watched a number of the more recent (past 10 years) Ultraman shows and films. It's still extremely popular in Japan (much more than Godzilla), but none of them really capture me like the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What, no Kamen Rider? Awesome swag. I'm green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not all that fond of Kamen Rider (or any Super Sentai), I'm afraid. I've seen a lot of them, but I guess I prefer my monsters big and my buildings small!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of "Mothra" on DVD...

    Link to Sci-Fi Japan - News on the "Icons of Toho" DVD

    whoo-hoo! (this has been a looonnnggg wait for me. I think this is the last VHS I still own)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought mothera was ok, I loved Godzilla vs King Kong and never did see the Japanese ending where Godzilla won. After that it was Mecha Godzilla.

    Gamera fighting that one guy with the big sword nose that shot those pointy stars. And just how did he manage to shot fire from every hole to fly... lol. Kinda like when Godzilla flew by shooting fire. Godzilla vs. Smog is also a favorite.

    Yea I think mine was original ultra man, I remember one episode he pulled out the changer and nothing happened and it turned out he had a spoon.

    I think those old ones were so good because we were young and it was easier to believe these were giants fighting, where now its hard not to see the zipper and know its a couple guys in suits with miniatures around them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "...never did see the Japanese ending where Godzilla won..."

    That's a myth! There was no such special ending.

    If you ever get a chance, check out the newer series of three Gamera films directed by Shusuke Kaneko that came out in the 90s, out on DVD. Essentially it was a reboot with great special effects and more adult drama (especially Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris, arguably the best giant monster movie since the 1954 Godzilla). They don't have the kitschy appeal of the 60s and 70s films, but they're done serious in a modern fashion, and it was like seeing it as a kid again without those anachronistic distractions.

    Her'es a taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_MVhHu57_U

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woa! Thats modeling some serious actual world damage. I dismissed the Gamera remakes thinking they'd be corny but that looks amazing. Will have to check them out.

    Also didn't realize there was such a desire for a Godzilla vs. Gamera movie.

    Still haven't seen all the newer Godzilla's. Final Wars wasn't that good, imho. Didn't see the new GodZilla vs Mothera or G vs Space Godzilla or the new G vs Mecha Godzilla. Video stores tend not to carry them.

    I always felt GodZilla vs Mothera would just be "Godzilla fries motheras wings to a crispy, the end." even though it didn't (and how his breath didn't toast the mothera worms is beyond me).

    I will certainly check out Gamera now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hated, hated, hated Godzilla Final Wars, and I was prepared to love it to death. Here's a review I wrote back in 2004. I was lucky enough to see the big Hollywood premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater, and this was only a few weeks after a huge Godzilla film festival here in San Francisco. I was high on G at the time. But GFW was, IMO, so stupid, so derivative of other films like "The Matrix", and had so little giant monsters (despite there being so many), it really disappointed me. I've softened a bit since then, but on any given day, I'm more likely to pull out "Monster Zero" or even "Godzilla x Mothra x MechaGodzilla: Tokyo SOS" than GFW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As if I didn't have enough to do...

    I just found out that YouTube has removed the original music video for Gamera 3, a song called "Tell Me Once Again" by Juliana (Schano). Years ago I translated the lyrics, my first big translation project. Fortunately, I still have the video, and I posted it to give the "closed captioning" feature a try. Lots of cool clips from the film in it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNi17_3KxH0

    Sorry Trek fans! I'll get back to the topic at hand now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robert, nice pics and thanks for the kind words! Glad to see everything arrived safely :)

    By the way, I can't speak for everyone here obviously, but I for one would love to see a post showing off some of your tokusatsu collectibles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We need Groknard - A respective look back of Godzilla, Gamera, and Giant Monsters of old.


    I'd subscribe!

    This blog could be Brown Gargantuan, and the other Green. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Auuugh! I feel like I spent 10 years deeply immersed in tokusatsu. Too deeply! However, when I do finally get the urge to do so again, it'll be over with my buddies at Sci-Fi Japan. In fact, Eric, you can check out one article I did there for those Bandai Godzilla and Ultraman games we've talked about.

    However, I was thinking that I should snap some photos of the GrokCave, which is currently an equal mix of Star Trek, Doctor Who, Godzilla, games, Ghost in the Shell and... chihuahuas and cats. The wife makes us hang up here in the loft (she calls it "The Boy Smell Room"). Here's a few glimpses, though:

    Me with giant G Head, statues in back
    Some Bandais and High grades
    My Favorite Gs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Quite a collection! Even have Tadzilla and Gabora. That is one giant Godzilla bust!

    The only collectable I have is all (I think) of the original Godzilla comics that I collected as a kid.

    ReplyDelete