Sunday, January 25, 2009

Introduction: Star Trek Gaming Miniatures

Star Trek miniatures from Heritage ModelsTomorrow I'm beginning a new series in the blog that will look at the various lines of Star Trek gaming miniatures released over the years by Heritage, Citadel, FASA and Last Unicorn Games. I have a fairly extensive -- but not nearly complete -- collection from each of the manufacturers, dating back to 1978. The series will almost exclusively focus on figures, not the starships miniatures. I've never been a big collector of the latter (nor played many of the various starship combat wargames), and there are much better resources out on the web documenting those.

25mm - 28mm Star Trek figure miniatures, however, don't get a lot of coverage. Because most of the lines were tied specifically to Trek roleplaying games, this series will be a chance to remedy that. Every few days I'll post a picture (when available) of the figures in their original packaging, along with closeups of them out of the packaging, and list additional known details about the various lines. Finally, I'm going to finally start painting these darn things, and if the results aren't too embarrassing (it's been many years since I painted minis!), I'll post pictures of the finished versions as well.

I want to thank in advance a few individuals in particular who have either helped me build my collection and/or helped me with photos and background: Dave Berton of Chicago, who had a killer collection and took great closeup photos of the Heritage packages, many which you'll see over the coming weeks; Duke "Uncle Duke" Seifried, director of Heritage USA back in the 70s and the man responsible for the first line of Star Trek miniatures and the RPG, from whom I obtained my extra special Klingons and Romulans; and Michael Thomas, who keeps the Heritage Models flame burning and well-documented through his sites Disciples of Heritage and Classic Miniatures.

Starting tomorrow: details of the Heritage Models line of Star Trek figurines

No comments:

Post a Comment