Tuesday, April 28, 2009

One Less Frontier

Bummer news today from Gareth-Michael Skarka of Adamant Entertainment. As you may remember in a previous post, I mentioned he was planning on doing a Trek adaptation for Mongoose's Traveller. Looks like it's not to be. From his LiveJournal...

...Cancelled our proposed Traveller sourcebook, Final Frontier: The Unauthorized Sourcebook to the World's Most Popular SF TV Franchise, for several reasons -- first and foremost being the amount of things on my plate at the moment (specifically the effects of the first bullet point, above). The thought of a potential legal scrum was there as well, although admittedly low on the list, along with doubts about potential audience viability. Really, though -- the main thing was that I've got enough irons in the fire right now, and I should be careful not to confuse what I'd love to see as a player with what I should be working on as a publisher.

Still, this could make things more interesting for me should I feel the initiative. I've been working on a lifepath-based character generation system for my Trek adaptation, and it would easily port over to Traveller. If, that is, I felt like going all out and doing something for Traveller. Not sure how I feel about that, especially for Trek and especially when I've actually got some original projects I'm working on as well.

Despite the fact a slot opened up, I'm still not going to call mine Final Frontier any longer, lol.

Got Michael Giacchino's score for Star Trek today from Amazon. It's really wonderful. I think I've listened to it a half-dozen times already. Big review to come, probably tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. A semi-humble thought: keep it very simple and vivid. And short! Spirit of the Century has a good model here. I'd say no more than five items. For instance, events in a certain starship captain's life might be:
    Family Legacy
    Tarsus IV Famine
    (No, I'm not putting Finnegan here. Everyone gets hazed.)
    Kobayashi Maru Scenario Solved
    Garrovick and the Farragut
    Enterprise -- A Love for Life

    As for not using "Final Frontier" -- pshaw. What else can you call it? "Buckle Up"? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds think alike! Basically, I'm going for tables that would result in something like the 5 "hooks" used in TS, but also have an impact on career path (and resulting skills).

    Here's something funny... look at your list and my list for Kirk's hooks:

    - Well-versed in Earth's history and cultures
    - As a boy, witnessed the massacre of 4,000 colonists
    - Only cadet to beat the Kobayashi Maru "no-win" scenario… by cheating
    - Blames himself for the death of his captain and 200 crew while serving as lieutenant on the USS Farragut
    - "You're too beautiful to ignore. Too much woman."

    I was just at a marketing seminer where they reminded us that "sexy sells", so I'll be calling my game "Starships & Slave Girls".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh. In my EZFudge write-up, I gave him "Historian (Earth, pre-warp)" skill. In the above, I overlooked that and ladies man 'cause ... they're not events in his history. They're other factors of his make-up. Or so I read it.

    I also threw in "Family Legacy" here to keep myself sort of current with the new film.

    Also I'm entirely jealous that you have the soundtrack album. Given how neatly Michael G riffed from John Barry's "Goldfinger" score in "The Incredibles", I can only imagine what he's done here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just FYI -- maybe it was the release of the DVD, but I've weakened. I'm planning to release "Final Frontier" after all.

    ReplyDelete