Thursday, May 7, 2009

Star Trek (2009) - Quick Thoughts, No Spoilers

I was absolutely blown away by Star Trek. I'm seeing it again tomorrow morning in IMAX.

I'm still gathering my thoughts on it. In some ways (many ways) it exceeded my expectations. I truly haven't had this much fun watching a movie since... since The Empire Strikes Back? There were a number of times when my eyes simply welled up with tears of joy, starting with the reveal of the logo, continuing with the appearance of Spock (prime), and up to the end. My mouth hurts from smiling so hard.

In other ways, I felt a different story with the same approach would have possibly imparted a bit more depth. Kirk got depth, Spock (with both taken as a whole) got a good amount, but I really wish that everyone else could have gotten more. Especially McCoy (you nailed it, Karl!). At the same time, they probably got no less than and sometimes more they did in the older films.

In the end, though, I probably wouldn't have had as much fun with that other story. And, frankly, it's been a loonnnggg time for me since Star Trek was fun rather than just fascinating. This time, I got both. And if the worst I can say is "I wanted more", that's not too shabby.

More tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. How'd you like the end titles?

    (he said, rushing home to gather up his wife to take HER to go see it. He can't not have his best friend see it as soon as possible.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just loved the end title sequence and, although the original theme music did not work for me at all when listening to the soundtrack, it really does work in the context of the film and that sequence.

    Sadly, *my* best friend/wife refuses to see it. Hmmph. I don't think she's ever forgiven me for Star Wars Episode 2 (I'm not sure I forgive myself).

    ReplyDelete
  3. End credits sequence was very well done, and I liked it a lot. Especially liked the dedication at the end. Thought that was very, very classy.

    ReplyDelete